In Court Lawyer Program
WEST SUBURBAN BAR ASSOCIATION IN-COURT
ATTORNEY REFERRAL PROGRAM APPLICATION , REGULATIONS AND RULES
Download Form (.pdf)
The In-Court Attorney Referral Program is a model that was established by the West Suburban Bar Association.
In-Court participants are a qualified, select group of attorneys who exemplify the finest qualities of the legal profession and possess knowledge and expertise in the courts for which approved whether it be Traffic Court, Misdemeanor Court or Felony Court.
Participation in the In-Court Attorney Referral Program is a privilege and not a matter of right, continued participation is contingent upon adherence to the high standards required by the West Suburban Bar Association as well as the Code of Professional Conduct, the Rules of the Circuit Court of Cook County, and the In-Court Attorney Referral Program Regulations and Rules.
Attorneys participating in the In-Court Attorney Referral Program must be a member of the West Suburban Bar Association and abide by the following rules:
I. The attorney must appear promptly on dates assigned and be available for the entire court call.
2. The attorney must be willing to accept all referrals for conference without fee. If an appearance by the attorney is filed, that attorney will enter into a fee agreement with the client and is thereafter required to continue with the case to the conclusion unless withdrawal is allowed by the court (representation at preliminary hearing is concluded by a finding of probable cause, no probable cause, or plea.)
3. The attorney should remember that the In-Court Attorney Referral Program is designed to proved quality legal counsel to defendants who appear in court without private counsel and who desire the same.
4. The attorney is required to assist the Court in making determination of indigency at the Court's request without fee.
5. The attorney is required to pay an annual registration fee as established by the Association.
6. All assigned dates are made to a specific attorney and are solely that attorney's responsibility and not assignable to any other attorney, even to a member of the same firm.
7. It is the policy of the In-Court Attorney Referral Program that bar dates for participating attorneys take precedence over other court dates. Under the rules of the program, when a participating attorney finds it absolutely necessary to cancel a scheduled bar date, that attorney must report to the In-Court Attorney Referral Program the need for cancellation at least 48 hours in advance of a court appearance. A conflict of court date shall not be an acceptable reason of cancellation of an In-Court Attorney Referral Program court assignment. Sanctions may be taken against attorneys who fail to appear on assigned court dates, who cancel assignments because of court date conflicts, or who appear late in court or leave prior to the end of the court call.
The In-Court Attorney Referral Program has a procedure in place to ensure an equitable distribution of assignments for filling cancellation vacancies when they do occur. You may assist the Program by indicating below if you would like to be contacted to fill such vacancies.
8. Any disputes as to fees are subject to binding arbitration by the West Suburban Bar Association's In-Court Attorney Referral Program Committee
9. Misinformation in the attorney's application for the Program shall be grounds for denial of application or removal from the Program.
10. Any violations of the Code of Professional Conduct of the Illinois Supreme Court, the Rules of the Circuit Court or failure to comply with any of these Regulations and Rules shall result in the removal of the attorney from the Program. No In-Court attorney is permitted to initiate contact with a prospective client. Any form of solicitation is strictly prohibited. This rule will be strictly enforced.
All In-Court Attorney Referral Program Attorneys must agree to abide by these rules and recognize that participation the In-Court Attorney Referral Program is a privilege and not a matter of right and may be suspended or revoked at any time. Participating attorneys agree to abide by and recognize the finality of decisions of the In-Court Attorney Referral Program Committee.
Download Form (.pdf)